Muthu is a tabla player /percussionist from Bangalore, India.
He studied from legends Ustad Alla Rakha and Ustad Zakir Hussain
A professional music career spanning over 18 years, Muthu travelled the globe many times performing on prestigious stages with many famous musicians from genres as diverse as Indian classical, jazz, bhajan, ghazal, fusion, and popular bollywood.
Some of the highlights of Muthu`s career in a chronological order are:
1. Played tabla and percussions on a very popular bhajan record series- 50 in number- called Living God Series with singer Ajnish Rai.
2. In 2003, he travelled USA for the 1st time and played with legendary musicians like Alice Coltrane, John Barnes, Bill Laswell and Slawek Kulpowitz to name a few.
3. In 2006 He travelled with Jazz pianist Slawek Kulpowitz throughout Poland
4. Along with flutist A.P. Pattanaik, he makes a yearly tour to Boulder, Colorado where they teach Indian music at the university and do outreach Indian music workshops in various schools and colleges in USA. On these tours they also collaborate with double bass player Paul Erhard to form Atmic Vision – a fusion music band. Atmic vision`s CD “Expanding Horizons have got great reviews from connoisseurs and critics alike.
5. Muthu came out with his solo CD called Tabla Rap in 2004
6. His own projects Mela, and Mystik Vibes are two high energy, rhythm oriented bands which are very active in India..
7. Muthu has freelanced with a lot of bands in India and abroad. Some of the noteworthy ones are NoJazz (from Paris), and Admas (Ethiopian Jazz band from New York)
8. As the official percussion player of popular singer Lucky Ali, he travels extensively in India performing to10 to 30 thousand audiences.
9. He represented India in a tri-country project organized by Alliance franchise, Bangalore. The other two musicians were Veteran Piano player Uli Lenz and Saxophonist Francois Jennaeu from Berlin and Paris respectively.
10. Conducted Rhythm Improvisation workshops at the Crossroads Music festival in Warsaw Poland in 2006 and 2009.
11. He traveled to China and Germany with the band Karnatriix
12. On Nov 23rd 2009, Muthu founded Layaa Productions, a venture to manage artists in Bangalore.
13. Beat Hunt- a drum circle conducted by Muthu is a popular team building activity in the corporate circles in Bangalore.
14. Muthu has been hailed as “One of the best tabla teachers in Bangalore” by Metroplus, The Hindu - a daily newspaper. He also conducts online tabla classes to students in various parts of the world.
15. In 2010 Muthu represented India in the Jazz-Connect 2010 organised by Allianz francaise, Max Muller Bhavan and Bangalore school of music and played a in a trio with Uli Lenz and Francois Jeanneau. In a 5 city tour in India
16. His band Mystik Vibes came out with first CD Shadow Tree in 2012.
17. Released Hymns Of India Vol 1 and 2 with flutist Butu in july, 2012. He also released CD called No Tomorrow. A cross over project with Pianist Sharik Hasan and Sitar player Sanjeev Korti
18. He is endorsed by the German drum and percussion maker Meinl for their Professional tabla set.
19. He is the first to come out with an APP for IOS through which he teaches tabla. He was featured in the Wall street Journal for this venture.
20. Muthu has recently started to collaborate with Oscar nominee Classical singer Bombay Jayashree,
21. Muthu and flutist A.P Pattanaik (Butu) recently released two new albums of meditative Indian Music (Hymns of India. Vol I and II)
22. He teaches tabla to students from around the globe through Video conferencing using Skype every morning of the week.